This month (well, roughly — we mean Sept. 7 – Oct. 7, 2015) we are doing something special here at Diversity in YA: focusing on fantasy and science fiction with main characters who are non-white, LGBTQ, and/or disabled. What does it mean to have diversity in fantasy and science fiction? How do you do that in a secondary world fantasy that isn’t set in our real world, or in a novel that’s set in the future on a distant planet? Some authors this month will be writing about these questions, and others will be sharing the stories of how they came to write their fantasy and science fiction novels.
To kick it all off, we’re starting with a giveaway of five new and upcoming YA fantasy and science fiction novels that present worlds filled with diversity:
- Wonders of the Invisible World by Christopher Barzak (Knopf)
- Trail of the Dead by Joseph Bruchac (Tu Books)
- Sound by Alexandra Duncan (Greenwillow)
- Court of Fives by Kate Elliott (Little, Brown)
- Serpentine by Cindy Pon (Month9Books)
Here are the giveaway rules:
- Five winners will be drawn; each will receive one book.
- Winners must have a U.S. mailing address; we are unable to ship internationally.
- Each person can have one free entry.
- Teachers and librarians are allowed an extra entry.
- Additional entries are available if you’d like to signal boost. (And thanks!)
- The deadline to enter is Oct. 6, 2015. Winners will be contacted shortly afterward.
To enter, fill out this Rafflecopter form: (Note: If you’re reading this on Tumblr it may not show up on your dashboard. Go here instead.)
Good luck and we hope you’ll enjoy our journey into fantasy and science fiction!